SIHMA’s work is founded on the Scalabrini ethos and inspired by universal values such as respect for human dignity and diversity. Our Vision is an Africa where the human rights of people on the move are ensured and their dignity is promoted; our Mission is to conduct research that contributes to the development of informed policies that ensure the rights and dignity of migrants, asylum seekers and refugees in Africa.
- Research: SIHMA’s research activities are in line with its goal to contribute to informed policy-making and advocacy in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Publications: SIHMA regularly publishes the African Human Mobility Review (AHMR) an interdisciplinary peer-reviewed on-line journal created to encourage and facilitate the study of all aspects (socio-economic, political, legislative and developmental) of Human Mobility in Africa.
- International and national dialogue: SIHMA organizes national and international workshops, seminars and conferences on migration issues concerning Africa, to disseminate research outputs and integrate the community of migration scholars.
- Training and formation: In collaboration with the Institute for Social Development at the University of the Western Cape, in August 2017, SIHMA has launched an elective course for Master and Honour students on Migration & Development. SIHMA has also trained pastoral agents who work with refugees and migrants in South Africa on migration related.
- Resource centre: SIHMA’s resource centre provides information services, such as direct search of the contents of external libraries, CD-ROM databases, access to mutual information sources, and keeps bibliographies of research. The centre maintains a specialized library of books, periodicals, and documents, an important resource for research, advocacy and policymaking.